Acquired for military use
in 1916, with No.28 Training Depot opening on 27 July 1918.
Early days saw aircraft
such as Sopwith Camels, Avro 504K's and Sopwith Salamanders
using the airfield.
Activity ceased on the
site in 1921, but at the outbreak of war in 1939 it came under
the control of RAF Brize Norton (as a SLG)
During early years of WW2,
aircraft such as Blenheims (90 and 101 Sqns), Ansons, Harvards
and and Oxfords used the airfield (13 OTU)
Airfield bombed during
August 1941, 6 bombs dropped. Enemy strafing to aircraft on
the ground damaged 7 Oxfords.
No 2 Glider Training school
arrives in Dec 1941, using Hawker Hectors to tow Hotspur gliders.
Hectors later replaced with Hawker Audaxes.
Glider training ceases
in March 1943. No 20 (P)AFU moves in and flies Oxfords until
disbandment in May 1945.
Used briefly by the Air
Positioning Plotting Unit in 1950/51, and then placed in a 'Care
and Maintenance' state until RAF Transport Command repossesses
the airfield for parachuting purposes.
Has been and is continued
to be used as both a parachute drop zone and glider training