Opened originally in 1916,
with Canadian Air Force flying Sopwith Dolphins. Closed 1920.
Re-opened October 1927
as bomber station.
First types of aircraft
included Hyderabads, Hinaidis & Fairey Gordons. Later equipment
included Hawker Harts & Handley Page Heyfords.
WW2 aircraft included Blenheims,
Hampdens, Ansons, Wellingtons, Oxfords & Lysanders, and
then later on, Mosquito's.
Satellite airfields include
Barford St John, Weston on the Green, and Brackley ( renamed
American Air Force return
in 1950 to develop the airfield.
Control of the airfield
formally passed from RAF to USAF on 15th June 1951.
Prior to closure, main
aircraft associated with station was F-111, serving in Oxfordshire
longer than any other type of operational aircraft!