Originally a practice landing
ground to relieve Watchfield, it opened for night flying on
Sep 25 1941.
Main usere were 3 EFTS
with some 56 Tiger Moths.
Communal Site estalished
for all ranks at nearby Stanford-in-the -Vale.
Army pilots trained here
as glider pilots from 1943.
Royal Netherlands Air Force
pilots train here in 1946.
Unit closed on 31st Mar
1948, as RAF is gradually wound down. However, it is later used by the the American Air Force in the 1950's
USAF 7568 Material Squadron provide radar maintenance for the 32nd Brigade whose job it was to provide air defence for all the USAF SAC bases in the UK.
Shellingford closed to the USAF in early 1957 with the unit moving to Denham Studio's (!) as the 7500 Air Base Group.