Airfield activated in mid-1941
as RLG for Oxfords from 15 SFTS Kidlington.
Bombed by enemy aircraft
on 24 Aug 1941. Six bombs dropped, but minimal disturbance caused.
Airfield undergoes extensive
redevelopment and opens under Bomber Command on 15 Dec 1942
as Satellite to Upper Heyford.
Wellington III's of 16
OTU and Mustang 1's of No's 4 & 169 Sqns use airfield initially.
May 1943 sees the airfield
being used as flight test centre for Gloster F.9/40 (basis for
Jet flying continues alongside
16 OTU training programmee.
Dec 1944 - arrival of Mosquito's
and 1655 Mosquito Training Unit preparing airrcrew for 8 Group.
16 OTU moves to Cottesmore
in March 1946, Barford ceases to be active airfield